Sunday, February 21, 2010

Orange Kiss-Me Cake


This coffee cake-ish retro recipe I found in both Mom & Grandma's recipe boxes.  When I researched the recipe, a very similar recipe came up and was the 1950 Pillsbury Bake-off Winner. ( I think that is pretty cool.)  I can totally picture my Grandma making this in her little kitchen in Sunnyslope in the late 50's.  It is a super easy recipe, and we loved it!  The cake is super moist and would be great for breakfast or brunch.  We aren't big raisin fans, so I left those out. 

Orange Kiss-Me Cake

3/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 milk
2 eggs
1 cup raisins (optional)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a 13x9 pan. Combine 1/2 cup of the OJ concentrate with remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Blend at the lowest speed for 30 seconds, then increase to medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour into pan. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Drizzle remaining OJ concentrate over warm cake; sprinkle with topping. (below)

Sugar-Nut Topping-
Combine in a small bowl. 
     1/4 cup sugar
     1/4 cup chopped walnuts
     1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you had this blog. I thought you were just sharing recipes at work! GREAT!!! Now, I can make some too! :) What a tribute to your mom. She would love that you are doing this!!
    Nicole :)

    ReplyDelete