Sunday, May 2, 2010

Pina Colada Cake

This is a super simple cake recipe-one that everyone always loves, and is just in time for summer! Again, not sure where this one originally came from, but I remember we made 10 of them (yes, 10 cakes) the year I had a ginormous International Food Festival with my junior high students. They were gone within an hour. I have also made this for parties and potlucks, and usually will bake the cake in an foil cake pan. That way, the pan can just be tossed when it is done. Works great!

Pina Colada Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
1 can cream of coconut*
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 large tub whipped topping (Cool Whip or generic)
1 cup can crushed, canned pineapple, drained with all but a little juice
1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Bake cake according to package in a 9 x 13" pan. Mix cream of coconut and condensed milk. Set aside.

When cake is done (and still warm) poke the top with the handle of a wooden spoon, so there are a lot of little holes.
Pour coconut cream/ milk mixture over the top and spread into the holes. Spread pineapple and reserved juice over cake. Let cake cool, or cover and chill overnight. ** (my preference)
 Mix together whipped topping coconut. Spread over cooled cake. Sprinkle nuts over the top, if you desire. Refrigerate and serve cold.

* Cream of Coconut can be found in the liquor department by the mixers or sometimes by the Thai food. It does not contain alcohol. It is not the same as coconut milk.

** I usually will make the cake, spread over the milk and pineapple and then refrigerate overnight. Then in the morning I will put on the coconut/whipped topping combo, then put it back in the fridge until I serve. I am cheap, and my hubby isn't a fan of nuts so I usually leave those off, but they do add a decorative touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment