Sunday, September 6, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies


So, I will have to finally admit it.  I am a cookie snob, especially when it comes to homemade chocolate chippers.  My Mom's were the best.  They are a bit fatter, and chewier than the "flatter-than-a-pancake" Toll House jobs. I think the recipe comes from my Grandma's ORIGINAL Betty Crocker cookbook. It's the extra flour that makes the difference.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Mix together:    2/3 cup shortening
                          2/3 cup butter or margarine
                          1 cup brown sugar
                          1 cup sugar

Add:                  2 eggs
                         2 teaspoons vanilla
                       

Sift together and stir in:
                         3-3/4 cups of flour
                         1 teaspoon soda
                         1 teaspoon salt

Add:                12 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips
                        1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls about 2"apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.  (These days I line my pans w/ parchment.) Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Cool slightly before removing.
Makes 4 dozen or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment