Sunday, September 20, 2009

Papa's Favorite Ice Cream

How about little ice cream to go with all the hot fudge? I couldn't post all those fudge recipes without a little ice cream to go with them!  This was my Grandma Bailey's recipe.  It was a favorite of my grandfather "Papa." That man LOVED ice cream.  I think my addiction to the cold, creamy stuff came from him. This is as old-fashioned as it gets... almost like a frozen custard, but better.  Pop and Gram used an old fashioned bucket-style ice cream freezer.  I used my Cuisinart 2 quart machine, and it worked great... I just had to half the recipe, using 5 egg yolks.

Papa's Favorite Ice Cream... makes 4 quarts

Cook together in a saucepan to 170 degrees:
     2 quarts milk
     3 tablespoons corn starch
     3/4 teaspoon salt
     2 cups sugar
     9 egg yolks

When above mixture is cooled, add:
     1-1/2 cups cream
     2-3 teaspoons of vanilla

Freeze according to your freezer instructions.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment