Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes

This is one recipe that I have been making since I was in the fifth or sixth grade. I still have the original page that was torn out of an old Snoopy recipe organizer from Hallmark circa 1980 or so. I have seen a lot of similar recipes lately, which inspired me to dig this one out. The original gives a recipe for the cake part, but I am a cheater and just use a box mix. (Gasp!) It is the cheesecake-like filling that makes them special.

Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes

1 chocolate cake mix, prepared using package instructions

Using an electric mixer, combine the following until fluffy:
      1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
      1 egg
      1/3 cup white sugar
      1/4 tsp. salt

Add:
     1 cup (6 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin tin with paper liners. Fill liners 2/3 full with cake batter. Drop a heaping teaspoonful of cream-cheese-chocolate chip mixture into each cupcake.

Bake according to package directions. Frost when cool with your favorite frosting.  I topped mine with chocolate chips, too. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment