Thursday, December 23, 2010

Cindy's Hot Apple Cider


Cindy is one of my favorite people in the whole wide world, and she would make this cider for us at school. She would make some for school potlucks and would often keep a pot brewing in the teacher's lounge for all of us to sip away our stress.  Several years ago, she graciously shared her "secret" recipe. We have enjoyed it at Christmas and holiday parties ever since.  We have it every Christmas morning.

Cindy's Cider
2 quarts apple cider (sometimes I cheat and use juice)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon whole allspice
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash ground nutmeg
3" stick cinnamon (or two)


I use my mom's old percolator to make the cider.  I put the spices and sugar in the basket part and then let the juice percolate.  I have also use one of the large coffee urns, again putting the spices in the basket, and letting it do it's magic.  If you don't have any of those fancy gadgets, you could simply simmer everything in a sauce pot, then strain before serving.  If I am making it for a party, or making it at school, I measure everything and just keep it in a baggie the night before.  The sugar gets infused with the spices, and is just as delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment