Monday, May 30, 2011

Mango Black Bean Salsa

This recipe is another one that became a favorite while I was teaching home economics. I received a grant from Wells Fargo to plan and implement an "International Food Festival." My junior high students researched and prepared food samples representing 42 countries. It was amazing! This recipe was brought in by one of my students (can't remember who... boo!) to represent Cuba. It's fresh flavors are awesome in the hot summer months, and the black beans are so creamy, that the textures just marry so nicely.  I can eat a whole bowl in one sitting!

Mango Black Bean Salsa
2-3 ripe mangoes, peeled and cubed
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (more if you like more heat!)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 handful cilantro, chopped
1/4 white onion, chopped fine
1-2 limes, juiced (depending on size... I usually use 2)
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients.  Serve with chips.  This also makes a lovely garnish or topping on chicken tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment