Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Aunt Polly's Caramel/ Caramel Apples

Ok... so I don't have an Aunt Polly, and I am pretty sure this recipe came from an old cookbook.  It is that time of the year to start thinking about leaves changing, crisp air, and of course... caramel apples!  I like this recipe because it uses cheap ingredients with good results.  I used to make it with my home ec kids, then pass them along to all the teachers.  Boy did everyone look forward to caramel apple day!  You'll need a candy thermometer for this one... Happy fall!

Aunt Polly's Caramel

2 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
2 cups evaporated milk
1/2 cup margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a large pot, combine sugar and corn syrup.  Heat to 300 degrees, stirring often. Add milk and margarine.  (Temp will drop) Re-heat to 250 degrees, again stirring constantly*. Remove from heat and add vanilla.

*The recipe says to stir constantly, but I don't.  I do keep an eye on the temp though... it seems to take FOREVER... then jumps up really fast.  

Tips:  When I would do this on my classroom, I would pour the caramel into my crock pot to keep it warm.  I would also thin it down with a bit water. It seems to make it cover the apples better.  Don't panic if you add water and it looks milky--just keep stirring. MAKE SURE YOUR APPLES ARE DRY before dipping!  I would also use styrofoam bowls, and SPRAY them with Pam before putting the covered apple in.  Once set, the caramel apple pops right out.  You could do the same with foil @ home.  Just SPRAY it...  it makes life so much easier! You can also refrigerate the left overs and re-heat in the microwave.  :-)  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment