Sunday, October 18, 2009

My Comfort Food- Chipped Beef on Toast

For most kids (and adults) it is the same.  Your birthday rolls around and you get to choose whatever you want your mom to make for dinner. My mom got off easy.  For me... it was always chipped beef on toast.  I know. It sounds strange, but it is my comfort food.  I would NEVER order it in a restaurant, and like so many things...  I just like it the way my mom made it.  I finally found her recipe.  I am sure when I was younger she would make it on the stove top, but this recipe comes from the cookbook that came with our first microwave.  Early 80's... I am sure. Happy Birthday to me!


Basic White Sauce for Chipped Beef

4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk

pepper to taste
1 jar Armor dried beef 
bread (for toast)

Directions:
Put the butter in a microwave safe 1 quart bowl and melt on high for 15 to 30 seconds. This may take a bit longer if the butter is cold. Stir in the flour until blended and smooth. Stir in the milk and pepper.

Microwave on high for about 2 minutes. Stir and microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes more or until thickened. Rinse HALF of the chipped beef to remove some of the salt.  Tear the beef into small pieces. Add to sauce.  Microwave in 30 second intervals until desired thickness.

Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. I can relate! My most requested birthday meal was my mom's beef stew!

    ReplyDelete