Saturday, March 20, 2010

Chocolate Coconut Pecan Cake

Coconut lovers, pay attention!  This is a moist, yummy cake with a custardy-coconut filling and chocolate ganache topping.  About eight years ago, I dragged my Mom to a local cooking store for some cooking classes. This one comes from a dessert class, and is more on the difficult side to prepare.  Not too tricky, but quite a few steps.  We made it for one of Mom's high school reunion luncheons, and it got rave reviews. The store has since closed but lucky for us, I am a pack rat and don't throw away great recipes! I also listed things in order of the way I do them, step by step.  That's just the way I roll. Isn't it pretty?

Chocolate Coconut Pecan Cake
Step 1:  Make Coconut filling.  (This can be done a day or so in advance, and refrigerated.)
  3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
  5 Tablespoons softened butter
  2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
  1/4 tsp. coconut oil (not extract)
  1 cup shredded coconut

In a sauce pan, combine milk and butter over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring continually.
Temper the egg yolks and add to the milk mixture.  Cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes until it becomes the consistency of pudding. Remove from heat, and stir in coconut and oil. Cool completely and refrigerate until needed. If made in advance, let sit at room temperature until spreadable.












Step 2:  Toast and cool 3/4 cup of pecans. On another tray,  toast 2 cups of shredded coconut and set aside.












Step 3: Make the cake!
   2-1/4 cups white flour
   1 tablespoon baking powder
   3/4 teaspoon salt
   1 cup shredded coconut, packed
   1 cup butter, room temperature
   2 cups sugar
   4 eggs
   1/4 teaspoon coconut oil
   9 oz coconut milk
  
Finely grind the cooled pecans with 2 Tablespoons of sugar. Combine with 1 cup of packed coconut. (Not the toasted stuff... that is for later...) and set aside.  I used my little food processor to grind the pecans.
























Sift together: flour, baking powder, and salt, and place in a medium bowl. Add pecan/sugar/coconut mixture. Next, in a mixer bowl, beat butter and 2 cups of sugar just until light and fluffy.












Beat in eggs and coconut oil. Add flour mixture ALTERNATING with the coconut milk, starting and ending with the flour. Divide between 2- 8" or 9" greased and floured pans. (I like 8", myself.)












Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Remove and cool completely.











Step 4:  Make the ganache!
1-1/2 lbs  semi-sweet chocolate (good quality)
2 cups of heavy cream

In a heavy saucepan, bring cream to boil and set aside. In a double boiler, melt chocolate. Slowly add cream. Whisk until smooth.  Pour into separate bowl and let sit until room temperature.


(Sorry this is an ugly pic... but you get the idea, right?)













I am drooling, now!











Step #5: Assemble the cake!
Spread filling between layers. (Tip!  I put parchment under the cake in sections, to keep my cake plate clean.)

Top cake with ganache.  Garnish sides with coconut, and remove parchment.

Eat your heart out!



I am NOT a professional, but I think Mom would be proud! 


3 comments:

  1. YUM! Ok two questions, 1.) where do you get coconut oil? 2.) can you leave the nuts out in case of allergies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh- I haven't tried it without the nuts, so I'm not sure. Might change the taste a bit. I think the nuts balance the sweetness of the coconut. I got the coconut oil and the now closed kitchen store. It is the kind that is used to flavor chocolates and candy melts. I wonder if JoAnn's, Michael's or HL would have it?? A cake supply would for sure. The recipe specifically said the oil, but I'd bet money you could substitute an extract. It just helps to amp up the coconut flavor.

    ReplyDelete