Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Crock-Pot Sweet Potato Casserole

Why don't I ever remember to take pictures? Today we had our annual Thanksgiving Potluck at school.  I made my crock-pot sweet potato casserole.  I can't really say that this was one of "mom's" recipes, but Thanksgiving was the last holiday we spent with mom, and she liked it.  I have fond memories of that.  About 17 people asked me for the recipe... so here it is.  I  love it because:  1) It is yummy.   2) I can make it the day before I need it, then just put the "crock" in the pot, and turn it on.  3) I don't have to worry about using the oven... or juggling the turkey... and 4) It is yummy.  Oh.  I said that.  Happy Thanksgiving! 

Sweet Potato Casserole
2- 18 oz cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 T. granulated sugar
2 T. brown sugar, packed
1 T. orange juice
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup evaporated milk

Topping:
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 T. flour
2 T. butter, melted

Lightly butter or spray the crock pot.  Mix sweet potatoes, butter, 2 T. granulated sugar and 2 T. brown sugar together in a large bowl. Beat in eggs, juice and evaporated milk.  Transfer to the crock pot.  Make topping by combining pecans, brown sugar, flour and 2 T. of the melted butter. Spread evenly over the top of the sweet potatoes.  Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.

Callie's tips: For a large crowd, I use 4 LARGE (29 oz) cans of sweet potatoes, and TRIPLE everything else.  I also make it the night before and put it in the fridge.  I even mix the topping together (except the butter)  and put it in a baggie, too. Less to do the next day.   I prefer to cook the potatoes for 2 hours or so... give them a stir... and then put the topping on.  I think it looks prettier that way, and the potatoes cook a bit more evenly.   Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Made this yesterday,and brought it to Thanksgiving dinner,everyone loved it. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete